Monday, February 2, 2009

Whirlwind wonderful weekend.

[why yes, that is a sticker on kellen's forehead. good times.]

Though Kell's birthday is in December, he actually got his present this weekend with a highly-anticipated visit from his Colorado cousin. Silas stayed with us for four days and we had an awesomely wonderful time in spite of sore throats and stuffed sinuses.

It was great to see the two of them reunited...watching cartoons and laughing about the good ol' days over pitchers of Portland's finest. So happy and relaxed. I only wish time didn't fly so swiftly when you're having such fun.

I spent much of the weekend preparing for the class I'll begin teaching tomorrow and boy howdy(!) is my anxiety palpable. There's nothing like teaching to make you realize just how much you don't know, eh!? In spite of my nerves though, I'm truly excited, thrilled, and honored by the opportunity. I'll let you know how it goes. Cross your fingers for me.

Speaking of learning opportunities, I'd be remiss if I didn't take a moment invite you all to an eye-opening, heart-piercing event going down this Thursday that I'm so proud to have played a part in instigating. As part of Pacific's participation in the National Teach-In events, Seattle-based documentarians Benjamin Drummond and Sara Joy Steele will visit campus to share the story of global warming through the eyes of the world's "locals." The pair have traveled the globe to create "Facing Climate Change," a collection of pictures and prose that illustrate the perspectives of nordic reindeer herders, wildland fire fighters, Icelandic glacier monitors and more!

I first fell in love with this dynamic duo's work when I was at the University of Utah and I can hardly wait to meet them and see their work in person. Oh how I would love for you to join me! If you're in a position to come, click here for more info. I know most of you will have to settle for being there in spirit, but don't fret, you can at least get a taste of the awesomeness here.

Hope your week is off to a great start. Wishing you and yours a happy February! (Where did January go!?)

No comments: