Saturday, February 7, 2009

Date night.

[image from the design*sponge write-up on Ink & Peat]

After a long and crazy week, Kell and I were eager to start the weekend. We kicked it off right with a visit to Russell Street Bar.B.Que for a little taste of my Texas childhood. It was our first time there and I've definitely decided to become a regular. They have hush puppies, folks! And Frito pie! And a totally awesome smoked beef brisket that reminded me of my mom's own knock-your-socks-off recipe. Try as I might, there's no way I could have passed that up in the name of vegetarianism. I did make a point of thanking the cow though before polishing off every last bite. Top that off with a side of candied yams and a handful of que-drenched fries from Kell's plate and this is soul food at its finest!

We then headed over to the most wonderful little home goods and flower store, Ink & Peat. (Allow me to take this moment to mention what a great sport my husband is!) Pam, the owner of this shop, is so great -- such a warm soul with a killer eye for design. Every time I pop in it feels like she's just welcomed me inside her own (impeccably decorated) home. You can check out her beautiful blog here.

We made it a point to stop in last night because the oh-so-talented Jill Bliss was having an artist reception there. We had tried to catch one of her shows at Office a few months ago but (in true Cecily fashion) I had the date wrong and the shop was closed when we arrived. Drats! But last night redeemed me and on display were the loveliest delicate little drawings tucked into shadow boxes.

I love that Jill's art is heavily influenced by her own sense of place. It's clear that she's cultivated a healthy curiosity for the natural world and I so admire how well she tunes in to the details...pine needles and wee mushrooms, the veins of a leaf and topography of bark...and totally interprets them in her own signature way. The simplest beauty. These are the moments I crave more expendable income...though I would also need more wall space if I had more money!

That said, we did walk away with a few birthday gifts and a lovely little vase for me that, at six dollars, I just couldn't pass up.

Hope your weekend is off to an equally-magical start!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am so jealous right now. while i sulk about living in a city where casually arriving to a jill bliss reception seems like a fairy-tale (and as I pause to count down the months until I get my stupid license so I can leave said city)... thought you might enjoy this interview - http://www.designspongeonline.com/2009/02/
handmade-nation-special-edition-
interview.html

cee + kell said...

oh, jenn. you have no idea how much i was thinking of you and wishing you were there with me. you were in my heart the whole time i was talking to her.

do come visit!!!!! i miss you like crazy!

thanks for the handmade nation link. these two ladies are so awesome. did you see they'll be in portland? (wink, wink)

love to you,
c