And I must say, I'm experiencing a bit of denial.
Due to the incredible December snow storm, coupled with a generous holiday break, I've been lucky enough to experience three glorious weeks off work. I'd been craving such a chunk of "downtime" for many moons and, I must say, I whole-heartedly savored each moment (especially those sweet snow days that I hadn't bargained for!)
I sewed. I designed for friends. I took more time with the holiday gift making. I made Kell the traditional birthday ice cream cake (thanks for the recipe, Chel!) and cooked up some crafty table decor to top off his celebration. I filed papers, updated insurance policies, vacuumed out my kitchen drawers (part of my special brand of organization-OCD). I called friends. I even slept in.
And now, I sit here typing in the dark and being mindful of the few moments I have left before re-entering the working world. Wading through a strange mix of emotions...Sunday evening blues mixed with a tinge of excitement at the prospect of heading back to the routine. Feeling hopeful that the energy I've stockpiled over the many "me" days will help me see my work world anew. Feeling lucky that I get to go to a job where my main duty is to be creative. Feeling blessed for the days that have allowed me to catch up on a laundry list of personal to-do's so that my mind may be less muddled, and therefore, more free to create.
Today we took down the tree and put away the Christmas cards. Kell made some final preparations for the chemistry course he'll begin teaching at the community college tomorrow. And I savored a take-no-prisoners cleaning out of my closet and packed my to-the-office bag. The alarm is set for "early" and I'll be ready.
That said, there is one thing we just couldn't bring ourselves to do...take the oh-so-happy holiday lights down in the bedroom. Sometimes you have to let yourself down easy, eh!?
No comments:
Post a Comment