Saturday, July 18, 2009
Moonlighting.
It's not often a "city girl" gets to spend her Friday night driving a combine. Yep, you read that correctly...a combine!
Here's the back story: Many months ago I disclosed to a fine friend at work my keen (and much romanticized due to my suburban up-bringing) interest in farming and she suggested we schedule a visit to her family's farm. Her husband agreed to entertain my intrigue and offered to let me ride along for the grass seed harvest--a process that begins by cutting the tall blades in the middle of the night (to ensure optimum moisture levels) and continues later by passing a combine up and down each row to scoop, sort, capture seed, and spit out what will later become hay bales.
Proudly, I'm now responsible for four said rows of the 2009 harvest. I even loaded my haul into the truck without incident. (whew!)
It was a total BLAST, and I couldn't be more grateful to my sweet colleague and her husband for the opportunity. And to their dear friend who showed me the ropes in the combine...thank you kindly for keeping me from breaking anything! Truly a Friday night to remember.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






3 comments:
Who'd a thunk that the city girl would take so well to the country! You do your momma proud!
oh, my lord...
i didn't even know what a combine was until i married Steve.
p.s. he would gladly teach you anything and everything he knows about farming/gardening. i've learned how to spot tomato and bean plants despite my efforts to ignore his horticulture lessons.
Cee, don't fool yourself. You were never a city girl. You were always just an undiscovered country girl living in the city.
And I'm just a wee bit jealous
Post a Comment