Overall, we had a delightful weekend...kicked it off with a run and then spent Saturday running errands, including a meet up with a friend for a jaunt to the paper store and a stop by the tailor to pick up some pants I've needed hemmed for way too long (no pun intended.) I then swung by the too cute for words Two Tarts Bakery for some provisions to bring home to the boy and we both headed out for an evening downtown at a friend's art exhibit.Sunday was off to a good start with a hearty fridge cleaning and a trip to the neighborhood theater to take in Watchmen. But, alas, that's when it went downhill. Why movies like this must be infused with such overt violence is beyond me. It left me feeling somewhere between sick and awful. A heaviness I tried to kick for the rest of the day. Now granted, I have a very soft stomach for such brutality, but even Kell was disappointed. Which is too bad, because my poor husband had such high hopes after devouring the graphic novel.
So what's a girl to do when she's just lost three hours to self-indulgent savagery? Why, bake bread, of course! It was the only solution. The only salvation. I had been planning to bake this weekend, but was glad I had procrastinated until Sunday. Little did I know how much I would need this refuge of domesticity.
Granted, this was my first attempt at the task and, I won't lie, I was a wee bit wary (I'm sure most of you are aware that I'm no pro in the kitchen.) But it turned out awesome! Scratch that...REALLY SUPER AWESOME! I'm pretty sure I've never been more proud of a culinary adventure. All three loaves were crunchy on the out, soft on the in, and not a one was burnt! Victory is mine!Need some soul-soothing? Maybe just some sweet smells in your kitchen? You can get the recipe here. Enjoy!
6 comments:
way to go sweetie! you are becoming such a domestic diva. great detail shots my friend. I think I have some competition in the photo department! Love ya tons. Enjoy the bread :)
em
So proud of you! I think you've inspired me to try my hand at it. Love you cuz.
I want a slice! Mom
You absolutely MUST join me in this fun springtime swap...no excuses, I don't care how busy you are.
http://notesfromdionne.blogspot.com/2009/03/springtime-swap.html
Hooray for baking your bread. I baked my first loaf just the other week - it was so fun, and so liberating! I felt like Martha Stewart!
I am glad you are in on the swap, it will be fun.
oh man...don't fool yourself girlie girl. You're on way way to some kind of "Betty" award. I'd put money on that one. Your bread was truly fine. three-slice fine indeed. xo j
Post a Comment