Tuesday, January 17, 2012
Hark.
I can't let January get away without a quick Christmas recap.
Let me first say that the running joke in the family is now "Christmas in July!?" as in "holy.cow.we.need.a.do-over!"
We'll get the rough parts out of the way and then we'll turn our faces to the sun, shall we?
Sadly, our holidays were plagued by illness this year. All three of 'em--Christmas, Kell's day o' birth and New Years. Sick, sick, sicky sick.
I felt so desperately sad for Kell as he slept through the traditional (and traditionally delicious!) Christmas Day feast. His favorite. He fevered out in bed while most of us filled our bellies to the brim. Unfortunately, he was not alone in his state and several other family members crawled in and out of hot baths and bed all day. It took us three attempts to unwrap all the gifts--bits of joy and generosity woven into a day of coughing, nose-blowing, shivering, tea-drinking and nap-taking.
All the while, my new-found mommy neurosis crept in and I feared Aves would succumb to the peer pressure and rock her own version of the flu. Her awesome immune system kept her well though, which was the best gift I could have received.
Our all-too-short stay in Moab ended with a fever-ridden drive back to Salt Lake so Kell could fly his sick self home and head in to work that Wednesday. I stayed in SLC to visit family and friends and thought I had dodged the bullet, but ended up coming down with a fever of my own on Thursday. This, on top of asthma and allergies, was too much too bear and I moved our tickets for an earlier arrival back in PDX. Two humidifiers, double doses of antibiotics and ten days later, we were finally well again.
So that was the bad. Glossed over to be sure. And I mention it only as a point of contrast, for it provides the canvas against which I can see some truly sparkly, shiny, treasures.
Even though this will be remembered as the Christmas we all got sick (except Aves, thank the Lord, hallelujah!), this is ALSO the Christmas that Avie got to meet three more great-grandparents. She's blessed to have five!
This was the year we celebrated an early solstice with Grandpa Jim and Grandma Debbie. Took advantage of their trip to Portland and got some extra snuggles in before leaving for Salt Lake.
It's the year that she was introduced to her sweet cousins and that her darling two-year old Grace welcomed her to the family with tender touches on her toes. Poor little Grace was sickest among us and was so heart-breakingly good to comply with the rule that sick fingers can only find the baby's feet.
I will look back with joy on Avie's first Christmas Eve church service. How she loved the candles. The hymns. Staring up at her BopBop as he gave the sermon.
This was the year that we took a four-generation photo with my family. It holds the moment that my sweet grandma--with her beautiful, creative mind that still has room for vivid story but is no longer much for memory--put her hand on my mom's and said "this is my baby" when I showed her my own. I weep as I type.
This year I got to see my brothers as doting uncles. A wonderful lunch with Matthew. A heart-filling visit with Chris on the last night of our stay. I watched my mom dote upon her granddaughter as she showed her off to the folks at work--many of whom serve as second mamas to me, having watched me grow over the many years my mom has held them as friends and colleagues.
This holiday held the chance to reconnect with old friends. Though these visits are never long enough and we sadly never get to see everyone we'd like to.
This was the year of a patient, happy three-month old on the plane (in spite of diaper blow-outs both coming and going!) Of first baby dolls and hand-knit hats, puppets, books and tutus.
And the best big toothless smiles for daddy upon our return.
Indeed, there were so many moments we'll choose to hold as souvenirs of this season.
(The few pics we managed to muster live over on our flickr page.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment