Friday, October 14, 2011

On mirrors and speed limits.


Avie and I were brave this week.

Which is to say that I finally sucked it up, looked my fear of flying solo with the wee one in the eye and, well, let's be honest, trembled, swore and fought tears as I clumsily belted us in the car for our first mommy/daughter errand sans Kell's chauffeur services.

To my great surprise it went well. I think Avie sensed my nerves and (always the thoughtful babe) held off on crying in the car seat until we were five minutes from arriving home again. Thank you, sweet girl.

Just the day before, Kell and I happened to pick up one of those "baby spy" mirrors for the back seat so that I could start working on those motherly eyes in the back of my head. I thought it was rather large and unsightly at the time, but the price was right. Now, after our outing, I've decided that what I really need is a mirror that spans the entire back seat. Aesthetics be damned! I want to look to that rear view and feel like I'm right beside her. Visual surround sound. Able to wipe spit-up or clear a crusty eye at a moment's notice. Plus, I need to make absolute certain she's still breathing at all times. Because, you know, seeing her blink and smile and put her hand in her mouth is not proof enough for a new mom.

We had just one minor casualty as I left my travel mug atop the car as I sped (read: drove five miles under the speed limit) out of the neighborhood, leaving my bumper christened with hot chai.

At least it wasn't the wee one!

2 comments:

Martha said...

We recently purchased one of those mirrors too! I haven't driven with it yet, but we're hoping it will also help her entertain herself.

Regarding beverage/baby on top of the car -- I totally had an alumnus tell me a story last week about leaving the baby on top of the car and driving away! Baby was unscathed, but sheesh! Way to strike fear in a new mom's heart!

So looking forward to seeing you both on Sunday!

BC said...

Consider it a badge of parenthood. The babyview mirror is essential.

Glad the first outing was successful, Chai notwithstanding. I'm surprised you get 5 feet out the door without being swarmed by Avie's admirers. :)