Saturday, June 6, 2009

Time travel.

This week offered an amazing volunteer opportunity...the chance to review senior portfolios at a Portland high school. I jumped at it and joined forty other area "grown-ups" as we thumbed through three-inch binders filled with essays, artwork and calculus assignments. We listened to plans for college, talked about the benefits of travel and asked the students whether or not they expected to cry during their commencement ceremony the next day.

It made me think about my own life at that age.

Ten years ago, I faced my own high school graduation and I remember being absolutely elated. I was on the cusp of an amazing summer...I'd soon embark on my last tour with the bell choir, followed by a trip to Greece with my fabulous friend Elpitha. My mortar board could not be airborne soon enough.

[class of 1999]

Ten years ago I was breaking in a white and baby blue pair of Pumas as I ran alone through the Atlanta airport. My plane from Salt Lake had landed late and I was minutes away from missing my flight to Athens. With blisters on my heels, I was the last one to board. Nine hours and a puddle-jump to Crete later, I'd meet up with my friend for the time of my life.

[I almost have a tan line on my wrist...can you see it!?]

Ten years ago I was desperately trying to tan my forever-pale skin on sandy beaches. I was wearing terrible sunglasses and eating fresh bread smothered in soft goat cheese and sugar for breakfast. I was learning how to say 'apple,' 'honey,' 'bathroom,' and 'No more, thank you. The meatballs are delicious, but I'm full. Really full. Ok, just two more.'

And ten years ago, in the clubs of Crete, this became one of my favorite songs.



It still remains on my top-ten list and will always remind me of that summer when I was 17... the salty breeze, shots of Tsikoudia, open-air markets, bustling port cities, jasmine, mango body lotion, lime-covered buildings, water too blue to be true, and a whole life ahead of me just waiting to be lived.

[the sweet blue fan in our bedroom. fresh jasmine blooms kiss the mirror.]

So, where were you ten years ago? What were the sights, sounds, smells? What song will always scream "Summer of 1999" to you?

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

Um. I don't remember what I did after graduation. Nothing nearly as cool as Crete. Probably worked at DC all summer. Bleh.

Sally Deck said...

Mmmm, I graduated from college, bought my first car, moved to Portland, and started my first "real job". But between graduation and starting my "real life", there was the trip to Spain and Portugal with my friend Katy... What a blast. Good times. Good memories! :)

Martha said...

I had my first job where I had to pay taxes. I spent the entire summer savoring the last days spent with my mom before college.