Sunday, May 17, 2009

Things are looking up.

Thank you for the well-wishes and concern, friends. I send you the virtual blooms above as a token of our appreciation.

Day by day (antibiotic dose by antibiotic dose), our house is indeed beginning to feel much better. We even managed to head out on a Saturday date night, complete with an evening walk, pizza and a much-anticipated Star Trek viewing (even the cynic in me recommends it. 'Twas a good flick.)

Poor Kell still has a nasty rogue cough that threatens to pierce my eardrums every once in a while, and I got a taste of my own medicine last night when I attempted (on a dare, and with much bravado, of course) to down a teaspoon of the buckwheat honey I'd been force-feeding him as a cough remedy. Whew, mama! That stuff is nasty. (No offense to the bees who slaved over it!) Sadly, I just couldn't conquer the task...I swallowed my pride and spit it down the drain. So lame of me. What'd'ya know...I guess there IS something to be said for walking a mile in another man's shoes. I've been far less pushy with the honey ever since.

All in all, I'd consider us both to be on the up and up. We've even got our appetites back! Which led to a lovely sunny-day breakfast at our favorite Portland spot, The Little Red Bike Cafe (you must go if you get the chance!) and the angel food cake that's now cooling on my kitchen counter.

You see, the university I work for has an incredible permaculture project just a few blocks from the main campus and the majority of the farm's residents are chickens. I just found out last week that their eggs are available for purchase and a couple of days later a student brought me the most lovely assortment of fresh eggs...white, brown, tan and begging to be made into something special. I credit my brilliant mother with the angel food cake idea. If I had my camera I could show you it's golden brown wonderment, just waiting to be devoured. But I don't, so I'll simply point you to the recipe.

Also, while digging around online for fabulous foodstuffs, I came across this page that has the potential to get me into a lot of trouble. Homemade Girl Scout cookies. Does life get any better!?

I'll leave you with that delectable dream. Hope your week gets off to a wonderful start!

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

OH!!! Bart LOVES samoas!!! I may have to make these for him as a surprise! I'm glad to hear you guys are feeling better!

Martha said...

Glad you're feeling better. Also, glad you saw the Star Trek movie! We actually got to go on a date on Friday and see it too!! :-)

Emily Hatch said...

I'm pretty sure I just gained another hundred pounds looking at that baking bits website. AMAZING! I can't wait to try some of the recipes. I am glad you and your cute hubby are on the mend. :)