Sunday, May 3, 2009

Obsessions, Favorites, and Admirations

Hello again, friends. It’s good to type to you again. I’m re-entering the land of the living after being on vacation and then coming down with a doozy of a cold (I promise, it’s not the flu) and decided it was time to take a peek at some blogs again.

Much to my surprise, I learned that I’d been tagged by my lovely cousin. Which is great, because what I had intended to post about was the baby quilt that I recently made for a good friend who’s on the eve of welcoming her first born. I also had a hankerin’ to tell you about my trip home and the fabulous time I had jumping on trampolines at this place with my brothers. But both of those posts would be much better with photos…and, true to form, I’ve misplaced my camera. Not to fear. It’ll turn up. Just like my cell phone, keys, and ipod always do. But I’ll have to stop looking in order to find it.

So you see, since my original post plans were foiled, Lindsey’s request comes at the perfect time! I even have a self-portrait on file to accompany this one. So without further ado, a few things you never knew you wanted to know about me….


What's your current obsession? This site. After being cooped up all winter, I’m dying to get out to explore the wonders Oregon has to offer.

What's your weirdest obsession? Organizing my refrigerator.

What are you wearing today? My favorite jeans, cuffed at the bottom so the hems don’t drag due to my (forbidden by my podiatrist) flip-flops. Topped off by a slouchy chocolate brown Gap v-neck t-shirt and a pair of silver earrings that my dad brought back from a business trip when I was young.

Why is today special? Because my awesome husband returned from a visit to the homeland. Though I was so glad that he was able to enjoy some family time, I’m ecstatic to have him back.

What would you like to learn to do? Lots of things! Oh man…there are too many things to learn and not enough hours in the day. Pretty much anything you could learn here. I’d also like to know how to mend clothes, play the harmonica, build a fail-proof campfire, create documentaries, meditate, and identify more birds and plants. Hmmm…I guess I want to be a perpetual Girl Scout.

What's for dinner today? Insanely good garlic bread from Whole Foods, sugar snap peas, and butter lettuce salad with sliced pears. And the mochi that Rebecca turned me on to from Trader Joe’s. I’m so addicted.

What's the last thing you bought? Vic’s Vaporub and the new Sunset magazine.

What's your favorite weather? The early days of autumn, when the heat wave breaks, you need a light jacket at night and the air smells rich and earthy.

What's your most challenging goal right now? Staying focused through the last couple weeks of school. Even teachers get spring fever!

What do you think about the person who tagged you? Where to begin!? Linds is the most amazing cousin a gal could wish to have. We didn’t get along super swimmingly when we were young, but we’ve grown so close over the years and I can’t imagine not having her influence in my life. She’s one of the most honest, open-hearted, loving women I know. For real. Her creativity and capacity for sharing it is unparalleled. She truly loves life and is one of those people who always pulls off an optimistic outlook without being totally annoying about it. I desperately wish we lived closer to each other.

If you could have a house totally paid for, fully furnished anywhere in the world, where would you like it to be? This is tough because I regularly imagine many lives for myself and they usually involve some degree of transience…a solar-powered yurt in Moab with a wrap-around deck and a garden, a VW Eurovan that takes us all over the country as we blog about our adventures, or a Flying Cloud that moves with the seasons and our duties as camp hosts for the National Parks. Then again, I wouldn’t complain about a farmhouse in France, or a lime-walled hide-away in Crete. As long as I could teleport home every week.

Favorite vacation spot? I’ve not been on a true vacation for a while now, since most of my travel takes me home to visit family, but I’m lucky because I love visiting Utah. (Don’t tell anyone, as we like to keep this quiet, but it’s a pretty rad state.) My favorite vacations involve waking up in a tent and smelling like campfire.

What would you like to have in your hands right now? A hot cup of Breathe Easy tea.

What would you like to get rid of? Our TV. Evil siren that she is.

If you could go anywhere in the world for the next hour, where would you go? Salt Lake City. To be with my family and eat leftover birthday cake with my mom.

What's your favorite thing about the city you live in? I only get to pick one!? I love the bridges.

If you had $150 now what would you spend it on? A great set of binoculars to watch the hawk that makes his home in the tree outside my window.

Do you admire anyone's style? I’m not much of a fashion-hound, but I would very much like to live in the pages of the Sundance and j.crew catalogs.

Describe your personal style. Safe. Though I’m trying to branch out and embrace my inner girly-ness (as evidenced by the ruffle shirt in the photo above). I’m definitely a t-shirt and jeans kind of gal, but I’m trying to step it up a bit.

Who's art show would you want tickets to? I’d love to join Lindsey for the Modigliani show. I’d also invite my friend Jenn to see Sabrina Ward Harrison.

What are three live shows that you have seen? Patty Griffin (a few more than three times). Ben Harper…a birthday gift from my good friend Leigh. Cats (the musical) with my family when I was in elementary school.

Whew!!! Still reading!? You deserve a cupcake!

Now, the rules of this tag:


RULE 1 | Respond and rework. Answer the questions, replace one question you dislike with a question of your own invention (I liked all the questions, so I ignored this rule.)

RULE 2 | Tag 7 other people you would love to learn more about. Here are mine, should they chose to oblige:


- Sally
- Kylie
- Rebecca
- Tiff
- Em
- Brita
- Martha

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Oh my goodness, I'm blushing! Your words have blessed my day today, I can't wait to put them in my pocket and challenge this beautiful spring day!
Cee, your writing is like good weather, or comfy couches, or the warm breeze that blows through the house, or like sand between your toes, or like hearing that song again for the first time.
I love you and you make me smile ***this*** big!