Sunday, May 10, 2009

They say we look alike...


Dear Mom,

Right now we're approximately 750 miles apart. But I've never been good with numbers, and so many times today I've felt like you're standing over my shoulder. Like when I woke up and thought that there could be no better way to usher in the day than by taking an hour to read. You would do that. Or when I noticed every bloom on my walk to the grocery store, naming each plant along the way. Azalea, spirea, red bud. I learned those names from you. Or when I sat down at my sewing machine this evening and saw you in every stitch. It's these daily reminders of you that make the miles seem less daunting.

If I were there right now, we might take an evening stroll around your garden. You would tell me what you've planted and illustrate in sweeping hand gestures your next landscaping project. We'd look forward to summer's tomato sandwiches and sipping iced tea from your Adirondack chairs. And I'd toast a sweet glass to you...to a woman with a huge heart, an infectious knack for making things, and the best mom a gal could ever hope to have.

I miss you, mama. Hope your Mother's Day was full of magic and celebration. Wish I could have shared it with you in person. I send you an extra big hug from afar.

xoxo | cecy

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

I love your mama too. We are so lucky, aren't we? Those girls are truly amazing.

Emily Hatch said...

Oh that was so sweet Cecily. Your mom is so wonderful, and I love how she embraced me back into her life after the years away. Cheers to mamas!