Tuesday, December 9, 2008

'tis the season...

for making!

Making MESSES, that is.

For the next few weeks, my dining table is bound to look something like this. No spruce-trimmed centerpiece, no advent wreath, just a whole lot of crafty goodness. Gosh, I really absolutely adore the holidays. Totally justifies my "make stuff" habit.

Had a wonderful weekend. Spent Saturday sewing with the girls and, though the hope was to cross off some "to-make-for-others" items on my Christmas list, I ended up making something for myself -- a first in a very long while. I now introduce the first sewing project I've just had to keep since my prolific 8th Grade scrunchie making fest (let's pretend that never happened, shall we?) Ahem. Drum roll please...

Oh yes, my friends, and the zipper even works! As you can tell, I'm wildly proud that my meager skills as a seamstress could yield such stellar results. I think the secret to my success was the litany of swear words muttered while I stumbled through the pattern. That typically guarantees good luck, don't you think? Thank the stars that I had a professional to guide me through the rough spots (and some evil top-stitching.) Who knows, with my new-found sewing confidence, perhaps I'll include a few more ambitious fabric projects into the holiday mix. No promises though.

Speaking of how awesome the holidays are, two things...{One} it snowed in Salt Lake. A fact made all the more dreamy and romantic by the fact that I am not there to shovel it. (Sorry Mom!) And {two} I just found the most lovely song to share with you. Click here to watch the video on YouTube (since they won't allow me to embed it. Ba humbug!) Sure to be loved long after the year turns '09. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

My kissing cousin:
1. Do you have enough bias tape?
2. I'm very envious of your pink singer and the time for which you have for crafting.
3. So proud of your creation! Yes you can!
4. I think we should be the girls in the Winter Song video...I'll be the redhead. It made my heart warm.

Anonymous said...

I love that song... it has been on my crafting mix for the past little bit (but in no way near the level of create you display). your voicemail made me sad. it was only after hearing your voice during this time of the year that I let myself realize how much i miss you. how much i always miss you.

Emily Hatch said...

oh, the memories from 8th grade sewing class. Remember how I couldn't even make the scrunci right? So pathetic. Your project looks wonderful. Mrs. Sutherland would be proud! Love you. Miss you. :)