Monday, December 1, 2008

Hydrate. Expectorate.

Ok. An admission. For the past three days I've been pouring salt water up my nose. Yup. Up my nose. And wow! WOW! I've never felt so good.

Here's the scoop: while sniffling up in Seattle over the holiday break, Kell's kind (and convincing) uncle persuaded me that the neti pot might be just the solution to my serious ever-present sinus congestion. And what'd'ya know!? I tried it and, get this, actually breathed through my nose ALL NIGHT. We're talkin' BOTH NOSTRILS! I wouldn't kid about this, folks. It's a miracle.

Now, I won't lie friends, 'tis mildly embarrassing to discuss such personal matters in such a public forum. But this water-up-the-nose bit has changed my world and I'd feel horrible not sharing this information with you because I know some of you need to embrace the neti pot just as desperately as I did.

I know, you're thinking "Yeah...I've heard of that whole deal...but I'm just not so sure." Well, friends, I'm here to assure you that you'll be sure. I'd heard from two ear/nose/throat docs, as well as my long-time pulmonologist that this practice might be my ticket to sinus salvation but I just couldn't bring myself to do it until this weekend. And boy am I grateful that I finally got the guts. I promise, it's not nearly as gross as it seems in your imagination. In fact, it's kind of relaxing. Crazy? Perhaps. Awesome? Absolutely. So to continue the theme of "thankfulness"... a huge thanks to our Seattle family for strong-arming me into open airways.

Now you try it! (P.S. The key is to buffer the solution with a bit of baking soda. Or, you can just purchase the pot with the nifty pre-mixed packets.)

Now enough of that serious stuff. Below is a most-hilarious clip of me "mastering" my little bro's trumpet on my recent trip to Salt Lake (where I proudly watched him rock the orchestra pit in the school play.) You'll hear Matthew in the background whistling the notes that he wants me to hit. Try as I might, I'd have sooner burst a lung than been able to play his key. Lots of fun, just the same though. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, for the neti pot! Glad to hear that the nose is working for you. Now, as for the trumpet......Mom

GoatMilk said...

HaHa! You are noob at trumpet.

Mick and Tiff said...

Where do I buy tickets for THAT concert!! Love the trumpet playing. It has given me a great laugh. Are you guys coming for Christmas? If so, we need to go to dinner or something. Last time just wasn't long enough. :)

Lindsey said...

I'd like to see you play the flute again. I'll bring my clarinet next time. How do you make everything look so freaking fun?