Happy Halloween! I recently found this photo while cleaning out a closet and it made me giggle. Yep, that's me. Circa 1986 maybe? My mom will know. Especially since the photo is hers and there is likely an album in her living room with yellowed pages and a big white lonesome rectangle in the place this pic used to occupy. Evidence of my bad habit of swiping photos from my mom's collection for various creative endeavors and not returning them. Oops! Sorry, mama.
But this way the world gets to see your mad sewing skills on display. World, let me brag a bit...my mom is the coolest all year, but boy did she really bust out all the stops on Halloween when I was a kid. And here's what makes her a superstar: she made every one of my costumes when I was growing up. From the tiger costume above to elaborate Rainbow Bright and belly dancer get-ups, she poured her love into exquisitely-crafted yellow yarn wigs and gold bolero jackets.
Now that I'm "grown up" I don't know how she did it. I can barely find time to run to the discount store for a last-minute, "it'll do" costume for myself. How she squeezed in the time to stitch amazing annual disguises for us kids is beyond me. But oh how we appreciated it. Even more now. And how I hope that I can be that kind of mama someday...Creating for my little ones with every ounce of midnight oil I can muster.
Thanks mom. Wishing you pumpkin cookies and some sweet tea while you're in Texas!
3 comments:
I would like to mimic each and every word, inserting my own mama and my own costumes of princess, clown, flapper, peacock, etc.
May we be so blessed to give the time, creativity, and dedication one day.
Ilove my little tiger...rar!
that was such a sweet post. mom's are the best! love you!
actually, it was Halloween of 1983. I'd wondered where those pictures went????
Post a Comment