Saturday, August 13, 2011

Bump.


I'm so far behind with blogging that I may as well just jump right in rather than trying for a full retrospective.

So, in the spirit of 'now,' with my belly blooming at 32 weeks, I offer a few thoughts on nearing the home stretch of pregnancy.

I really didn't think I'd like being pregnant. To be clear, it's not that I thought I'd hate it; I simply didn't expect how smitten I would be with the whole process. Perhaps that sentiment grew out of my long-standing insistence that I never wanted children. But, like my mom always told me, someday I might change my mind. And of course one day I did. Damn! I'm sure my kids will absolutely hate it when I'm right too. (Love you mom.)

So as the weeks begin to count down, rather than up, I'm a bit sad that this one chapter (of what will surely be a long and lovely tome, but still...) is coming to a close.

I'll miss 'baby' (prenatal) yoga with my other pregnant (though not anymore) girlfriends, the creative challenge of dressing a shape-shifting body, the weekly "your baby is as big as 'x' vegetable" e-mails, the daily volley of name possibilities with everyone I come in contact with.

But I think what I'll miss most is the movement. The fluttery, sometimes sudden, kicks and rolls that remind me I'm never alone--that make me marvel at the fact that 'holy cow, there's a human in there!' I mean, seriously, how brilliantly mind-blowing is it that my body can even do this!? I can barely run a 5k, can't make it to the top of the gym's climbing wall, have never been able to close the gap on the monkey bars, but I can grow a person, yo! I have no words for this.

Granted, there are a few things that I'm looking forward to once this belly recedes. Among them: 
  1. Wearing belts. (Just wearing pants with belt loops, for that matter!)
  2. Getting reacquainted with the other 90% of my shoe collection. (Evil edema.)
  3. Eating soft cheeses with reckless abandon. Pasteurized or no. I'll take my chances.
  4. Not whacking myself in the abdomen every time I try to close the car door. (What can I say, grace has never been my strong suit.)
  5. Seeing what this kiddo looks like. Perhaps it goes without saying, but as we get closer to d-day, I'm increasingly curious. It feels quite strange to carry someone around all day-- to have their toes wedged in your ribs, to be intimately acquainted with their hiccup habits--and to have never seen their face (creepy ultrasound pics notwithstanding).

3 comments:

Emily Hatch said...

I am so glad you are enjoying pregnancy. Thanks for the update, you look beautiful as always! I am pretty darn excited to see what your little one looks like too. Are you coming to SL anytime soon? (crossing fingers)

Em

Martha said...

I miss yoga too!

Your comment about belts reminded me of my fear toward the end of my pregnancy of embarrassing myself post-pregnancy with the inability to work a button and zipper. I managed to re-learn. :-)

I missed the flutters for the first week or so and then the wiggly little human being who is still perpetually attached took precedent.

I am also really looking forward to seeing what your little one looks like!

Zaurie said...

To say that I am so happy for you, goes without saying. Watching your children achieve those life goals is the reward for all the all nighters, the throw up in the shoes, and the temper tantrums. Enjoy sweetheart!