
One of the things I miss most about Salt Lake is the out-my-back-door outdoor opportunities. I remember waiting patiently each spring for the snow levels to climb high enough that I could again explore the aspen-laden slopes of Big Cottonwood, my favorite of the seven main canyons that empty themselves into the Salt Lake Valley.
One of my most memory-rich trails is Mill D to Dog Lake, which happens to be conveniently close to where many of you will be staying over our wedding weekend. I logged many miles on this path back in college with my roommate Kathleen and remember our fist trek up the last (steep!) push to the top. It was the inaugural outing of our season and every sinew of our legs were on screaming. We were doing our best to tempt each other to the top with talk of Clif Bars a nap by the lake. Our struggle-fest was in full swing when, to add insult to our injured pride, two mountain bikers breezed past us and lithely crested the top of the trail. Amazing.
Several of you have voiced interest in being behind the handlebars while you're in Utah and have asked for trail recommendations. While I've never toured the canyon from the saddle, I can tell you that this is a very popular route and a pretty good place to start if you have the leg-power. It's a beautiful tour through aspen and pine that ends at a clearing and a little lake, with opportunities to explore side trails along the way. This site will help you plan your trip (select "Mill D North Fork"); it also offers info on other near-by adventures. Can't put your bike on the plane? This local shop has you covered.
Just remember to be kind to those poor hikers, huffing and puffing on the side of the trail, as you fly by. One of them is likely to be me.
[photo from utahmountainbiking.com]
1 comment:
Apparently I need to take you hiking. You still have a million outdoors options in your backyard! :-)
Post a Comment