Sunday, October 31, 2010

A toast.


I just got off the phone with my grandpa, a man I love and respect to a depth that steals my words and swells my heart. Today he and my grandma celebrated sixty-nine years of marriage.

Along with my aunts, uncles, cousins, mom and brothers, my dear grandpa took a trip down to the care center where my grandma now spends her days and marked the occasion with cake and conversation. I was quite sad to have missed out on the event.

When we were kids, my grandparents anniversary was always overshadowed by Halloween. I recall only a few mentions of the fact that the 31st was also an important marker in their marriage. I'd like to think that they were most happy spending their special day with their ten costumed grandkids. More likely, is that we were just too sugared-up and oblivious to recognize the importance of that date beyond our begging for candy. 

Regardless, I realize now the magic this day represents (beyond the Tootsie Rolls and Snickers bars). Without which I wouldn't even be around to write this.

Admittedly, it's an odd day to get married--Halloween. And I've asked my grandparents why they chose it many times and never tire of the tale. I most adore the matter-of-fact-ness in my grandpa's reply..."Well, because that's when I got paid." Grandpa was in the military and on the last day of every month he was counted out a stack of bills and some change. In 1941, that October paycheck bought him and my grandma a modest living-room wedding.

Eleven days later, he left my grandma with a kiss and $13 dollars in her pocket. With another $13 or so in his, he was bound for the Philippines and what would become World War II. He never quite made it to his destination, as his orders were changed en-route when Pearl Harbor was bombed, and he spent the next year in Java and Australia. He didn't see his beautiful bride again until 11:30 p.m. (he still remembers) on December 22, 1942.

Can you imagine!? I love this story. I love that he remembers the time. And I love that we're still celebrating nearly seventy years later.

Happy anniversary, grandma and grandpa. Cheers to the love, respect, dedication and elbow grease it's taken to reach this milestone. We adore and admire you. With all our hearts.

2 comments:

Zaurie said...

Beautifully written, sweetie. You made Grandpa smile! Love you!

Lindsey said...

The way you tell it is so magical. You definitely have Grandma's gift for storytelling.