Tuesday, November 24, 2009

As the mornings get chilly.

As the leaves fall and the rain sets in, we look to start our day with an extra bit of comfort...and that's when we turn to oatmeal.


I've promised my favorite oatmeal recipe to a good friend of mine for months now and thought I'd post it here so that all of you could add it to your breakfast arsenal. It's beyond easy and makes good use of my favorite kitchen accoutrement...the slow cooker. We got one for our wedding and had no idea what to make with it until my wonderful father-in-law (who also happens to be quite an amazing cook) gifted us with "Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker." This recipe is on page 238 and falls right after such culinary wonders as Chocolate Almond Cheesecake and Poached Pears...all in a slow cooker! Brilliant. I highly recommend the book for any Christmas list.

From "Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker"
Old-Fashioned Apple-Raisin Oatmeal
Serves 6

1.5 c. rolled (old-fashioned) oats
4 c. cold water
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 medium-sized cooking apple (I use whatever I've got in the crisper), cored, peeled, and shredded
3 Tbsp. raisins (sometimes I toss in some dried cranberries too)
1/2 c. granola, or to taste

Comine all ingredients except the granola in a lightly oiled 3.5-4 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours. Then, simply wake up, wipe the sleep from your eyes, spoon yourself a bowl of breakfast, sprinkle with granola, and voila! Couldn't be easier.
Wishing everyone a Tuesday full of Thanksgiving blessings. I hope you all have something fantastic planned for the upcoming holiday. Cheers!

2 comments:

Martha said...

Does it keep? What do you do with the extra servings?

cee + kell said...

i pop the leftovers in the fridge. i admit, the texture gets a bit funky after refrigeration, but don't be deterred. just add a little milk, throw it in the microwave, top with granola and you're back in business!