Monday, August 10, 2009

Proof...

...that my seventeen-year-old bro has a gut o' steel. And the high metabolism to match! (As if there were any doubts.)


This, my dear friends, is the culinary indulgence called "The Cheesus"... if you guessed that it's two grilled cheese sandwiches hugging a hamburger, you'd be right. True, this concoction should probably be illegal, but when served in a converted school bus with an amazing mural on the ceiling and Trivial Persuit cards for pre-meal entertainment, it becomes almost charming (maybe!? you're right, it's still ridiculous!) In an epic exhibition of pure will, Kell and Matthew both took one of these down. I settled for the cheddar on wheat with a side of tomato soup.

Grilled cheese has always held the top spot on my roster of comfort foods and so I admit that I was giddy when Kell and I learned that The Grilled Cheese Grill was opening on NE Alberta last spring. We finally had the occasion to drop in when Matt came to visit and I can't say I was disappointed. And as a bonus for all of you who don't go to bed at 9 like I do--they host an unofficial dance party at midnight on Fridays.

So, do tell...what's your favorite comfort food?

5 comments:

Martha said...

I so want to go to the grilled cheese grill. reason 101 why i miss living in Portland.

lauren said...

mashed potatoes.
no question.

whipped with either garlic or brown gravy... mmmm...

BC said...

Ewww.

I love me some good mac n' cheese. And bread pudding (no raisins!).

Lindsey said...

I am ALL about the grilled cheese. Especially grilled cheese with tomato soup. We used to have a sandwich press that was just perfect for gooey grilled cheese. It's either that or pasta. I love me some carbs.

Lindsey said...

And oh, my gosh, if we had a grilled cheese grill I'd eat there every day.