Thursday, August 23, 2012

Eleven Months.


Oh, beautiful growing-too-fast baby of mine,

You are well into your eleventh month and, as usual, I am well behind in writing to you. In my defense, I have good reason. We've been so busy having fun (and doing dishes, laundry, cooking and prepping for class, ahem) that there's been little time to document the details. Here's this month's highlight reel:
  • Mobility is this month's vocabulary word, with a capital "M." You are all over the place. Pulling up on anything that even hints at an ability to hold your weight. Your laundry basket totally pulled the wool over your eyes this morning, collapsing under you as you tumbled into its depths. No babies were harmed, just really disillusioned and stunned at the audacity of such a stable-looking perch turning out to be soft-sided.
  • We did a second round of baby-proofing to counter this development. It feels like a game of checkers though and it's again your turn to show us just where you're interested in wreaking havoc so that we can sink more money into baby gates and door latches and tv tethers and...
  • Even though you've become quite the independent adventurer, you still prefer your mama's hip most of the day. Which, quite frankly, is killing my back since you're no sack o' sugar anymore. But I'm soaking up ever snugly, slobber-shouldered moment because if I've learned anything in these short months with you it's that these moments may not last.
  • Teeth. You have lots of 'em and sometimes use them as weapons. Mostly when I'm swabbing my finger around your mouth trying to liberate whatever non-edible edible you've found on the floor.
  • You adore a good dance party. We turn up the tunes and spin around the room and you throw your head back and squeal. Same trick happens to work when you get fussy during shopping trips.
  • Climbing the stairs has become an entertaining activity in itself. Though you prefer that I hold your hands so you can 'walk' up, thanks.
  • Your hair is getting so long it tickles your eyelashes. I made you a barrette to tie it back. Can't bring myself to trim it yet.
  • Favorite games: You stick out your tongue and expect us to do the same. Patty cake. Keep-away (when you've managed to grab something you know is verboten you put your hands behind your back and shake them).
  • You are generous with kisses and give me many smooches throughout the day.
  • Fave foods: lentil soup, cantaloupe, graham crackers.
A good friend remarked this week that you are a joyful baby. "Yeah, she's pretty happy," I responded. She clarified that indeed, most babies are happy, but you, Miss Aves, are so obviously smitten with life that it's infectious. You wear your joy on every inch of your little body. When you smile, it's so clear that your whole soul is in it. No half-hearted grins for this one. Don't get me wrong, you have your moments of discontent (and boy, are they getting louder), but for the most part her comment was spot-on gospel truth. I love this about you more than anything, Aves. May your joy be forever unflappable and always inspire others to laugh along with you.

2 comments:

BC said...

How is it possible that you're almost one Miss Avie??? I just adore our sweet friendship with you - can't wait to celebrate the very full year of your first year. :)

Emily Hatch said...

Oh she is just the cutest ever! I wish I could snuggle her and play patty cake. Give her a hug for me, and hang in there mama!